Sunday, March 29, 2020

Dungeons Dragons Dudes

So I tried D&D. I have to be honest, I really enjoyed myself. The DM Greg is really awesome. He has such an amazing imagination and it really drew me in. Im really looking forward to our next session. We're trying to figure out a webcam kinda thing during this COVID crisis. 
My name is Royland and Im a rogue. Heres a little of my back story that I wrote up if interested:

The scroll sat over our entrance ever since I could remember:


The king hereby, after a strong admonishment, banishes all bloodlines akin to Royland Victor Kriedelle.
No judgement shall fall upon their lineage, nor shall their be retribution to favor the kings ruling.
If found within our city limits, any bloodline akin to Royland Victor Kriedelle will be seen as an intruder, an outlaw, a menace to our kingdom and will be treated as so.
These rulings are treated as law, anyone assisting any bloodline akin to Royland Victor Kriedelle shall be guilty of treasonous acts and hung without a trial. Take heed and obey.


It was there to remind us not to travel too close to the city. As long as I didn’t reveal my name or my fathers, how were they to know who I was? At 13 years old It was so easy to deceive the unknowing. How could you see a son of a betrayer if you weren’t aware of his lineage at first glance. Small conversation, listen, observe and remember all information. The feeling of anonymity was invigorating. Not having to creep in alleyways and dive into the shadows of doorways was a luxury. Even though, that too I am skilled. One winter evening, when I was feeling especially untouchable, I snuck into the city. The water well rested in the center of town. It was dug so deep the water wouldn’t freeze even in the coldest of winters. I dropped the bucket down, collecting the water and rushed to the top of the highest road in the city. As I poured the water out, it rushed down and through the cobblestones, quickly freezing within seconds. I continued this, warming my hands between each bucket by a smoldering fire pit, until the road leading to the well was as frozen as the waters of Silvendale in the winter months. It was not an easy task, you can’t throw the water because the splash would alarm and wake the sleeping. You had to pour slowly, you had take your time and be undetected. On Nights like these even the guards don’t make their rounds. I know this by observing. On a night not as cold, a woman screamed for nearly 30 minutes before the guards even started their way out. My lungs burned from the cold. I found it amusing how the sharpness hit when I took a deep breath. Did I feel that the entire time as I ran the bucket? I wasn’t sure. I felt the pain was an achievement and cherished it. I waited till dawn and enjoyed the site of the people of the city. When the sun rose it reflected like a mirror. Though this mirror had bumps. It reminded me off when my mother picked walnuts in a basket to almost overflowing. She then would place a cloth over top. The white cloth formed over the walnuts in the basket, like the ice did to the cobblestones on the road. My icy achievement. I heard the creaking of the doors and rubbed my hands together in anticipation. They’d slowly exit their home and be whisked away without any chance of recovery. The screaming ran by my ears as I watched the ice take this younger mother pleading for her husbands help. Only for him to follow seconds later cursing her as the ice took him. I tried not to laugh, I tried not to draw attention but I couldn’t help it. As each person slipped and sped by me, I laughed harder. I was drawing too much attention so I needed to leave. I stood smiling and moved swiftly. For some reason, that action caused more attention than my laughter. “Grab that boy” I heard as I moved up the far end of the road that was ice free, heading towards the top. My laughter and my smile were gone. I’ve revealed myself, I went too far. They’ll question me, they’ll hold me and say “who are your parents, we must speak with them before we let you go”. How will I get out of this. “GRAB HIM!”, I looked back. Why did I look back? Now they know my face, now I’ll be held responsible, punished for this childish mischievous act. Stupid. When I turned I saw why the man was yelling. A small boy, hanging on to a tent post slipping on the ice and losing his grip. I watched him struggle. I too struggled. Help and be acknowledge or run, and be held accountable. “PLEASE”, I ran and slid across at an angle towards him, my body took a beating over the cobblestones but the ice was thick enough in some areas where the rocks weren’t too jarring. I reached the other side grabbing the boy as he lost his grip. I placed him in an area free of ice. “stay away from the road you fool” I said angrily. “Impressive” I heard a voice yell. I turned, raised my hand and nodded towards the father. I turned my back and continued up the road avoiding the icy path. “THANK YOU SON!” he yelled again even louder with a slight laugh as if still impressed with my actions. “Never again” I told myself. “It’s time to leave childish acts behind, never be this careless, remember that fear that overtook you”. I spoke over and over again to myself as journeyed back to our home. I didn’t want to help the boy, he was careless, but I did what I thought was right to get away. Self preservation. You are not a hero.

No comments: