Saturday, September 8, 2012

Lightning Leak [long lame who cares]

Got a call that there was a leak on 16. The message said " lighting struck the ground and then the irrigation line broke ". When I heard that, the only thing I thought was bullshit. We went out there with the floating bunker pump to get the water out of the caved in area.
Dug out the area and actually found a metal line running across the fairway. The PVC pipe was running under the metal line, so I started thinking, I guess its possible lightning struck.
why they put the pipe under and the wires over I'll never understand. 
fixed the leak, put the wires under the metal line and put a piece of rubber over the PVC
We turned the water on, tried the sprinkler heads and the entire right side of the fairway wouldnt work. Dug up one of the solenoids on the head and checked it. 
destroyed. Now I believed lightning struck. Here are some other ones.
this is what I used to fix the problem
cut off the previous solenoid from the head and stripped back the wires
hooked up the new solenoid to the old ground wires
place the wires in a D.B.U. (direct burial unit) which prevents water from corroding the connection
hooked the new solenoid back to the head.
worked perfect. 

waste of time